Thursday, October 8, 2009

In Interlaken with Dracula??


I had every intention of doing a "Where in the World is Ross" post today, but I've been chatting with a lot of the people who usually put in guesses & already told them where I am. So I'll have to wait until my next destination to be mysterious.
I am currently in Interlaken, Switzerland, and it's amazing. If you read my last post, you may have noticed I was a little burned out from touring big city after big city. This place is nothing like the last 5 cities I've been in. It actually reminds me a lot of the Tahoe area, only more Europeany.
It's a small town surrounded by mountains & 2 very large, very clean lakes. I'm calling this my "vacation from my vacation," as there is nothing to do here but relax. Oh, and go canyoning. I had never heard of this outdoor activity before I got here, so it's likely you haven't either. To see what I'll be doing at 9AM tomorrow, check this short video out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7jDxUk1g7k Looks amazing right??
I got in yesterday morning (Wednesday), and I was too late to sign up for any outdoor group activities by that time. Besides Canyoning, they also have skydiving, bungee jumping, paragliding/hang gliding, kayaking & whitewater rafting. I believe I'll only be partaking in the Canyoning.
I did a 3 hour hike yesterday on a trail that started only 5 minutes from the hostel. It took me up to one of the peaks nearby with amazing views of this town & the 2 lakes (see for yourself with the pictures below). Today it decided to rain all day (only the 2nd time I've seen rain on this trip), so I pampered myself by going to an indoor pool & spa. My schedule there went something like this: swim for 30 minutes, hot tub for 20 minutes, sauna for 10 minutes, read/fall asleep in a chair for 1 hour, back in the hot tub for 10 minutes, warm foot bath for 10 minutes (it's ok to laugh, I was laughing at myself while doing it), and then another 2 hours of reading/sleep. But enough about me already...how are you all doing back home??

One last brief story... So I'm at a hostel that is pretty much full of young people. But I noticed 1 guy who must be about 45-50 years old. Not just an ordinary guy though. He wears all black, including a trench coat. He has a black cowboy hat with a skull & crossbones symbol on it. He has very long hair in a pony tail. He wears long silver chains on his pants, and also wears a belt that has the skull & crossbones. Needless to say he seemed a little out of place just when I was walking past him during the day. So last night we're all out on the picnic tables drinking & waiting for the hostel bar to open (happy hour from 9-10, 2 for 1 drinks). This guy sits down in the middle of the group, and I hear him start to have an awkward conversation with one of the young guys. I heard them talking about alcohol, marijuana, and tuberculosis all at once I think.
Unfortunately for me, mostly everyone walks away from the table at one point, and there I am, one-on-one with this guy. I start off with the usual 1st questions: Where are you from & what kind of traveling are you doing?
Here's how the rest of the conversation went:
-old guy: "I'm from Switzerland, just 30 minutes away."
-me: "Oh cool, so what brings you to Interlaken?"
-old guy: "Well...actually I'm running away from home."
-me: "Ohh... um, well how come?"
-old guy: (long pause) "Because some people I thought were my friends aren't."
-me: "So where do you go next then?"
-old guy: "Well I'm going to visit a friend in another town in Switzerland to say goodbye forever."
(This is where I try to back out of the awkwardness & take the conversation in a new direction. Bad move Ross, bad move.)

-me: "So where will you eventually go if you're never going home?"
-old guy: "Well first, I want to let you know I'm one of the few people who believe that I have lived other lives in the past. And I believe I was alive 100 years ago. At that time, Transylvania...do you know Transylvania? (I answer yes, I've heard of it). Well it was a separate country from any other nation, and it entered into a treaty with Hungary & 1 other nation that I can't remember. It was supposed to stay as its own country forever. Well something happened & either Hungary or the other country took it over. So I plan to next go up in that area & find out what happened. I also believe that Count Dracula was living there when I was alive 100 years ago, and I'd like to find out what happened to him."

At this point I excuse myself for the bathroom, and I'm pretty sure he overheard me telling someone he was "batshit crazy" because when I got back to the table, he asked, "Was that story just a little crazy for you?" (I don't remember my exact response, but it was something like, "Nooo, not at all. I just don't know much about that stuff you're talking about.")
Anyway, mostly everyone knew he was, um, different so the rest of the night the big joke was, "Yeah I hope he's just not in my room, or else I'm gonna sleep with a knife in my hand."
I went to bed at 11:30 last night, and guess who strolls into the room around 2AM? Mister freak show himself. I was honestly a little frightened.
The good news is that I am alive today so clearly he's not so bad. But he did get up every 30 minutes last night, presumably to go smoke a cigarette, and each time he got up & came back in to the room he made SO MUCH NOISE. I requested a room change & will be sleeping elsewhere tonight.

That was literally the 1st person I've met in 23 days that I was a tiny bit scared of. Anyway, here are the pictures I took yesterday while hiking in Interlaken.
















6 comments:

  1. Glad ur alive...maybe this is just gettng you prepared for the "Etihad"....j/k....all in all...a hilarious post....you still have 2+ months to go...and it only gets better each time.....i'd highly suggest you write a book abt ur EU adventures..:)

    -P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went canyoning in Wales, and apart from nearly drowning (due to canyoning with wimpy BU girls who clawed onto you every time they got scared in the water), it was an amazing (and hugely exhausting) adventure. Very jealous of your travels, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the picture from overlooking the town looks fake! it looks like a fake river. so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please stay away from men in long black coats,Ross. and bring one of those cute cows back home. Be careful,stay safe.xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're on the other side of the world, bunking in youth hostels and you felt the need to give a fake name because.....
    Glad to see you living the dream for the rest of us
    keep the humor coming
    Kris

    ReplyDelete